„Empowerment and resilience of Ukrainian academia in the field of socio-ecological reconstruction and restoration“
In this measure we will create an open-ended but goal-oriented exchange on opportunities and challenges for research and academic education in Ukraine related to socio-ecological ecosystem management in the broadest sense (e.g. from forest sector and nature conservation to renewable energy production and ecological economics).
Under the conditions of climate change, there is an urgent need for action to make forest management more ecosystem-friendly and to manage the entire range of ecosystem services in the sense of a socio-ecological concept. This includes nature-based solutions for climate protection and adaptation to climate change, as well as forest justice for all people who benefit from forest ecosystem services. Direct or indirect consequences of war that have degraded ecosystems also have a special significance. The further strengthening and transformation of Ukrainian academic education towards more dialogue and citizens’ involvement as well as problem and action oriented learning approaches will be discussed in working groups using a variety of workshop formats.
What the Think Tank is about
The Think Tank will be the umbrella for different working groups focusing on specific topics (see below), also to enable exchange between these working groups and possible synergies. The Think Tank and building of working groups will be coordinated by the HNEE team but the working mode of each working group shall be flexible to serve the needs of each group and their participants.
The objective is on the one hand to create an exchange and to support networks as well as to develop recommendations for political decision-making. On the other hand concrete project ideas and corresponding project applications shall be developed by the working groups.
Topics / Working groups
- socio-ecological management and restoration of degraded ecosystems
- socio-ecological transformation towards an independent energy supply
- empowerment of students to impact on the decision-making process in socio-ecological forest management
- needs and opportunities for academic education to attract students and generate the future key competences of 21st century (focus: digitalisation as a tool for more effective collaboration)
Tasks of the Think Tank ERUkA
The main task of the Think Tank ERUkA is to develop a network of scientists and experts who closely cooperate with policymakers and development practitioners (as an umbrella for the exchange of knowledge and experience of working groups on specific topics) to implement ideas for initiating joint projects. The Think Tank ERUkA team will support participants in developing their own specific topics, formulating project tasks, project proposals, finding partners, communicating messages to decision-makers and submitting project proposals to relevant financial institutions. The desired result of the Think Tank ERUkA is the implementation of the ideas of the participants and the creation of an intellectual network for the formation of a better future for Ukraine.
As in this measure the focus will not be on the Ukrainian National Forestry University alone but will look at Ukraine as a whole, we wish to involve persons and institutions from all over Ukraine. A network of universities and further experts (e.g. from relevant ministries) as well as students should be built and further strengthened. ERUkA members to be invited (mostly already contacted and agreed on their interest to join):
- round table at UNFU “Reconstruction and restoration of Ukraine: the role of scientists”
- colleagues from DILeLa project at HNEE
- Nicolai Teufel (Bayreuth University) and partner universities
- Olena Vrublevska (Ivan Franko National University in Lviv)
- Viktoriia Khrutba (National Transport University, Kyiv)
- Yuliya Nikitchenko (Eberswalde University for Sustainable Development)
- Simon Kuznets Kharkiv National University of Economics, Kharkiv
- Admiral Makarov National University of Shipbuilding (Faculty of Environmental and Technogenic Safety), Mykolaiv
- Odessa State Environmental University (Faculty of Environmental Protection), Odessa
- Kharkiv National Automobile and Highway University (KNAHU - Department of Ecology), Kharkiv
- Members of the Ukrainian Ministry of Ecology and Natural Resources
- Professional Association of Ecologists in Ukraine (PAEU)
- State and /or Regional Agency of Forest Resources of Ukraine / Lviv region
- students of UNFU, HNEE and if possible further universities
Meetings and workshops will be organised online on a regular basis, but with occasional intensive in-person workshops. If need be a hybrid format will be organised to allow the participation for all members.
Strategy documents, policy recommendations, project proposals, strengthened network and cooperations between participating insitutions.
Registration of new members
So, if you are interested in becoming part of the Think Tank ERUkA, please fill out the registration form at the link and participate in the introductory meeting on November 3, 2022. We will be glad to see students, teachers, members of public organizations, practitioners in the field of nature conservation, forest use, nature protection, public relations, state administration, local self-government and representatives of other institutions.
Team and contacts:
Pierre L. Ibisch
Professor for Nature Conservation of Centre for Econics and Ecosystem Management, Eberswalde University for Sustainable Development
Vice Rector for Research of UNFU, Professor of the Silviculture department, Ukrainian National Forestry University
Professor, Deputy Director of the Institute of Ecological Economics and Management, Ukrainian National Forestry University
Professor, Head of the furniture and wood products technology department, Ukrainian National Forestry University
Professor of the Department of Ecology and Environmental Protection Technologies, National Transport University
Associate Professor of Centre for Econics and Ecosystem Management, Eberswalde University for Sustainable Development
Associate Professor of the Department of Management and Marketing, Ukrainian National Forestry University
Employee of the Center for Economics and Ecosystem Management, Eberswalde University for Sustainable Development
Assistant of the Department of Information Technologies, Ukrainian National Forestry University
Fedane De Carlo
Intern student of the Center for Economics and Ecosystem Management, Eberswalde University for Sustainable Development