Leonid Kopiy, D. Sc, Prof.
79057, Lviv, Gen.Chuprynky St. 134
+38(032) 258 42 40, +38(032) 258 42 58
Head of the Department,
Leonid Kopiy, D. Sc, Prof.
The history of the Department of Ecology begins in 1989, when the Department of Ecology, Landscape Architecture and Gardening was established on the basis of the Department of Forestry and Landscaping at the Ukrainian State Forestry University.
It became one of the first departments of such profile in Ukraine to begin training environmental specialists. In 1992 the first student enrollment on specialty “Applied Ecology” was completed.
Due to the successful implementation of the international project “ENARECO” at the National Forestry University of Ukraine and pursuant to the Resolution (No. 565-IV from February 20, 2003) of Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine on the establishment of the National Center for Ecologists-Economists Training the Institute of Ecological Economics was established in 2004. The newly created Department of Ecology after division of the Department of Ecology, Landscape Architecture and Landscape Architecture as an independent structure was included to the Institute, renamed in 2013 as the Institute of Ecological Economics and Management.
The Department trains environmental experts in line with global trends in education, the United Nations Decade of Education for Sustainable Development (2005–2014), which emphasizes the urgent need for skilled professionals with knowledge of environmental issues and the balanced use of natural resources.
- Leonid Kopiy, D. Sc, Prof.
- Ihor Kulchytskyi-Zhyhailo, Ph.D., Assoc. Prof.
- Maria Kopiy, Ph.D, Assistant
- Mykhailo Paslavskyi, Leading Engineer.
- Mykola Chernyavskyi Ph.D., Assoc. Prof.
- Nelya Lukyanchuk, Ph.D., Assoc. Prof.
- Oksana Duban, Senior Laboratory Assistant
- Oksana Oshurkevych-Pankivska, Ph.D., Lecturer
- Svitlana Melnichuk, Lecturer
- Ulyana Bashutska, Ph.D., Assoc. Prof.
- Victorija Oliferchuk, Ph.D., Assoc. Prof.
- Yuriy Pankivskyi, Ph.D., Assoc. Prof.
Ecology (Bachelor of Ecology)
Graduates of the study program «Ecology» will attain to competence for the solution complex specialized tasks and practical problems in the field of ecology, environmental protection and sustainable use of natural resources, which involves the application of basic theories and methods of environmental sciences
History of Ukraine
Ukrainian Language for professional purposes
History of Ukrainian Culture
Chemistry with Basic Biochemistry
Informatics and Systemology
Geology with Basic Geomorphology
Meteorology and Climatology
Methods and Tools for Measuring Environmental Parameters
Environmental Impact Assessment
Basics of Labor Safety
Ecology of Urban Systems
Rating of Anthropogenic Impact on the Environment
Systems of Water Use
Geochemistry of Technogenesis
Biometry and Mathematical Statistics in Ecology
Foreign Language for professional purposes
Foreign Language for professional purposes
Environmental Legislation and Environmental Law
Foreign Language for professional purposes
Geodesy, Cartography and Cadastre
Organization of Management in Environmental Activities
Environmental technologies and Equipment
Bioregulation of Microbial Plant Systems
Ecology of Transport
Bioregulation of ecosystems
Basics of Land Use Economics
Economy and Ecology of Tourism and Recreation
Ecological and Economic Accounting
Modelling and Prediction of Environment State
Geographic Information Systems
Aerospace Methods in Ecology
Ecology (Master of Ecology)
Graduates of the study program «Ecology» will attain to competence for the solution complex problems in the field of ecology, environmental protection and sustainable use of natural resources at professional activity or in the process of learning, which involves carrying out research and / or innovations characterized by complexity and uncertain conditions
Pedagogy and Psychology
Standardization and Certifying in Ecology
Systematic analysis of environmental quality
Scientific Researches Methodology and Organization
Close to Nature Forestry
Bioenergy Resources and Renewable Energy Sources
Sustainable Development Strategy
Ecological Management and Audit
Integrated Ecological-Economic Accounting
Environmental Accounting and Reporting
Reforestation and Afforestation
Natural Recourses Cadaster
Teaching Methods in Higher School
Business Foreign Language
Surface Phenomena and Dispersion Systems
Ecotoxicology and Ecotrophology
Forestry Ecological Politics
Hydrological Protective Role of Forest
Strategic Environmental Assessment
Waste Management and Treatment
Integrated Solid Waste Management
Forest Melioration of Wasted Territories
Specialization “Nature Conservation”:
Theory and Practice of Nature Conservation
Management of protected areas
Protection and Conservation of Wildlife
Environmental Monitoring in the Objects of the Nature Reserve Fund
Protection and Conservation of Flora
Reservoirs and Drains in the Objects of the Nature Reserve Fund
- Integrated Solid Waste Management
- Forest Hydrology;
- Watershed Management;
- Landscape Management;
- Phytomelioration of Devastated Landscapes;
- Rational Forest Management;
- Carbon Deposition;
- Ecological principles of soil restoration using the principles of regenerative land use and restoration of triple symbiosis in soil: fungus-bacterium-plant;
- Study of the principles of survival of mankind in the conditions of ecological crisis;
- Urban ecology and phytomelioration;
- Strategic Environmental Assessment;
- Environmental Impact Assessment;
- Environmental Monitoring.
HA 08.07-05-18 “Peculiarities of reproduction of indigenous oak-pine stands in areas affected by amber mining”
2019 Wilderness without Borders: Protecting ohne of Europe’s largest natural landscapes, Polesia ((The Endangered Landscapes Programme, ELP: UK, Deutschland, Belarus, Ukraine)
2019 – Participation in the program Erasmus + "Staff Mobility for Training" at the university for Sustainable Development in Eberswalde (Brandenburg, Germany)
2019 creation of the Сenter for the Сollective Use of Scientific Equipment "Laboratory of Biotechnology and Environmental Monitoring of Soil Ecosystems"
2017 – Short term lecturing at the University of Applied Forest Sciences Rottenburg (Baden-Württemberg, Germany)
2016-2017 Improving the regulatory framework for forest management practices in protected areas of Natural Reserve Fund of Ukraine and relative international experience (international Project, The World Bank, IUCN, WWF)
2014-2015 Preservation of Carpathian virgin forests (Germany, Ukraine)
2014-2015 Virgin forests in the UNESCO World Heritage (international Project).
2012-2013 Support Responsible Forest Management for a Sustanainable Development in the Danube – Carpathian Ecoregion (IKEA phase IV)
2012-1013 Old growth forest end virgin forest and their identification (Ukraine-Romania).
2011-2014 Continuous training foresters to better forest management (Ukraine- Slovac)
2011-2013 The classification of types of habitats in Ukraine (international Project)
2010-2012 International Project “Improving law enforcement and governance in the forest sector in member countries of the European Neighbourhood Policy and Russia” (ENPI-FLEG).
2010 -2011 Biomass in Ukraine (international Project EBRD).
HA 08.07-08-10 Estimation of hydrological functions of forest ecosystems in SE "Velikobychkivske LG" and ways to increase them by creating small hydrotechnical objects
HA 19 To develop differentiated measures for forestry management according to landscape-watershed and forest-typological principles taking into account the functional purpose of forests of the Ukrainian Carpathians
2008-2015 Recasting derivatives spruce forests in structured mixed forests in Carpathians (CBR) (Switzerland – Ukraine).
2007–2010 Virgin forestry in Ukraine and USA.
2006-2010 Closing stationary demonstration test plots and monitoring the cutting overhaul stands in major forest types of the Ukrainian Carpathians under the Swiss-Ukrainian Forest Development Project in Transcarpathia FORZA.
2006-2008 Concept of integrated biomass in the Transcarpathian region (Ukraine- Slovac- Hungary).
2006-2008 The concept of comprehensive use of biomass in our region (Ukraine, Slovakia, Hungary)
2006 – 2008 Swiss-Ukrainian project "Recasting derivatives spruce forests in the mixed structured forests" with CBR, Swiss Federal Institute for Forest, Snow and Landscape Research (WSL).
2005-2009 Ukrainian-Swiss Project „Virgin forest research as basis for the conservation and sustainable utilisation of forest ecosystems of Carpathians» to order the Swiss National Science Foundation (SNSF) in the framework of the SCOPES.
1998-2004 Transformation processes in a river basin Dnister” (Deutschland, Ucraine under an aegis UNESCO).
- Kopiy M., Gonchar V., Kopiy S., Klymenko O., Kopiy L., Krupskiy V. Phytomeliorative role of vegetation in restoration of devastated lands within the limits of sulfur quarries of the Western Forest-Steppe; Monography. - Rivne: NUWEE, 2019. – 290 p. (in Ukrainian)
- Melnichuk S.P. Building Physics and Climatology. Educational-methodical handbook for 2nd-year students of specialization “Landscape Architecture”. ‑ Lviv: UNFU, 2018. ‑ 169 p. (in Ukrainian)
- Melnichuk S.P. Meteorology and Climatology. Educational-methodical handbook for students of specialty “Landscape Gardening”. ‑ Lviv: UNFU, 2018. ‑ 148 p. (in Ukrainian)
- Kopy L.I., Melnichuk S.P. Landscape ecology. Educational-methodical handbook for self-instructional study of discipline by students of specialty "Ecology". ‑ Lviv: UNFU, 2013. ‑ 155 p. (in Ukrainian)
- Melnichuk S.P., Melnichuk Ya.V. Landscape Studies. Educational-methodical handbook for self-instructional study of discipline by students-masters of specialty “Architecture: Urban Planning”. ‑ Lviv: UNFU, 2013. ‑ 107 p. (in Ukrainian)
- Bashutska U. Succession of vegetation on coal-mine dumps in the Chervonograd industrial-mining region. ‑ Lviv: UNFU, 2006. – 180 p. (in Ukrainian)
- Harhalis B.I., Pankivskyi Yu.I. Systems of Water Use. Educational handbook. ‑ Lviv: UNFU, 2013. ‑ 217 p. (in Ukrainian)
- Oliferchuk V.P. Human Ecology. Educational handbook. ‑ Lviv: UNFU, 2012. –132 p. (in Ukrainian)
- Oliferchuk V.P. Bioindication. . Educational handbook. ‑ Lviv: UNFU, 2015. ‑ 79 p. (in Ukrainian)
- Prusak V.F., Lukyanchuk N.G. Ecological design. Educational for the preparation of masters in the specialty “022 Design” (second edition, supplemented). ‑ Lviv: UNFU Press., 2019. ‑ 225 p. (in Ukrainian)
- Apostolyuk V.A., Dzhygyrey V.S., Sokolovsky I.A., Somar H.V., Lukyanchuk N.G. Industrial ecology. Educational handbook.‑ K.: Znannya, 2012. ‑ 430 p. (in Ukrainian)
- Lukyanchuk N.G. Compendium of lectures of the academic discipline "Geophysics of ecosystems" for training students on specialty “101 Ecology” of Master's educational qualification level. ‑ Lviv: UNFU, 2015. ‑ 212 p. (in Ukrainian)
- Kulchytskyi-Zhyhailo I.Ye. Forest hydrology. Tutorial – Lviv: UNFU, 2008. – 283 p. . (in Ukrainian)
- Kulchytskyi-Zhyhailo I.Ye., Bogolyubov V.M., Klymenko V.O. et al. Environmental monitoring. Textbook, ed. by V.M. Bogolyubov and T.A. Safranov. – Kherson: Hrin, 2013. – 530 р. (in Ukrainian)
- Basic provisions for the management of oaks forests. / Kalinichenko N.P., Kozhevnikov A.M., Murzov A.I., Jerusalemsky E.L., Fedets I.F., Chernyavskyi M.V. / M .: Gosleskhoz, 1987. – 44 p. (in Ukrainian)
- Bondarenko V.D., Delegan I.V., Tatarinov K.A., Cherniavskyi M.V., Tatuk S.D., Lysenko V.I., Rudyshyn M.P. Huntingscience. Tutorial. – Kyiv: RNMK VO, 1992. - 197 p. (in Ukrainian)
- Bondarenko V.D., Krynitsky G.T., Kramarets V.A., Muzyka M.Ya., Popadinets I.M., Oliyar G.I., Kapelyuk Y.I., Khoietsky P.B., Cherniavskyi M.V. Strategy and tactics of nature conservation activity of the forest reserve (on the example of the Medobory Nature Reserve). - Lviv: Spolom, 2006. - 408 p. (in Ukrainian)
- Klimuk Y.V, Miskevich V.D., Yakushenko D.M., Cherney I.I., Budzhak V.V., Niporko S.O., Shpilchak M.B., Cherniavskyi M.V., Tokariuk A.I., Olexiv T.M., Timchuk Ya., Solomakha V.A., Solomakha T.D., Major R.V. Gorgany Nature Reserve. Plant life. - Protected areas of Ukraine. Plant life. No. 6.- Kyiv: Phytosociocenter, 2006. - 400 p. (in Ukrainian)
- Close to nature forestry in Ukrainian Carpathians. M. Cherniavskyi, R. Schwitter, R. Kovalyshyn and others.; Ed. by M. Cherniavskyi. - L.: Pyramida, 2006. - 88 p. (in Ukrainian)
- Cherniavsʹkyi M.V., Shpilʹchak M.B. Nature Reserve «Gorhany». – Ivano-Frankivsʹk: Foliant, 2007. – 32 p. (in Ukrainian)
- Cherniavskyi M.V., Shpilchak M.B. Nature Reserve «Gorhany». – Ivano-Frankivsk: Foliant, 2009. – 64 p. (in Ukrainian)
- Delegan I.V., Cherniavskyi M.V., Fennych V.S. Prospects for hunting development in Transcarpathia (Practical recommendations for the development of hunting in the introduction of multifunctional and close to nature forestry). - Ivano-Frankivsk: Foliant, 2007. - 158 p. (in Ukrainian)
- Bedya O.I., Grishchenko V.S., Kazakov A.M., Rodina V.I., Cherniavskyi M.V., Chopak V.Yu. The concept of integrated use of biomass in Transcarpathia. - Uzhgorod, 2008.- 204 p. (in Ukrainian)
- Kiyko Orest, Yakuba Myroslava, Voytovych Ivan, Chaskovskyy Oleg, Maksymiv Volodymyr, Myklush Stepan, Schulte Andreas, Kies Uwe, Klein Dajana, Hilmar Foellmi, Loyko Lesia, Shchoka Iryna, Ustych Radmila, Derbal Yuriy, Chernyavskyy Mykola, Kulyk Nataliya, Voloshyna Nataliya. Cluster analysis of the forest and wood based industries of the Carpathian region of Ukraine and recommendations for cluster management. ‑ Lviv, 2008. ‑ 32 p. (in Ukrainian)
- Prots B., Kagalo O., Mocharska L., Danylyk I., Zyura N., Resler I., Cherniavskyi M. Bern Convention and the Settlement Concept of Biodiversity Conservation: The Future for Ukraine. - Lviv ZUCC, 2011. - 28 p. (in Ukrainian)
- Advisor to the Carpathian Forester./ ed. by M.V. Cherniavskyi. ‑ Ivano-Frankivsk: Foliant, 2008. ‑ 368 p. (in Ukrainian)
- Transformation processes in the Western Ukraine. Concept for a sustainable land use. /ed. M.Roth. Weissensee: Oekologie, 2008. ‑ 370 p.
- Environmental, economic and social problems caused by inefficient and unsustainable forestry and illegal logging in Ukraine. / ed. by M.V. Cherniavskyi. ‑ Lviv: Green Cross Society, League Press. - 2011. - 396 p. (in Ukrainian)
- Problems of access of local population to forest resources and illegal logging in the forests of the Carpathians and Western Polesie. /Ed. M.V. Cherniavskyi, I.P. Solovij, Ya.V. Genyk. ‑ Lviv: Green Cross, League Press. - 2011. - 256 p. (in Ukrainian)
- Los Svitlana A., Dutka Mykhajl M., Polakova Ludmila V., Chernyavskyy Mykola V., Sapiton Oleksiy A. The state of forest genetic resources in Ukraine (the materials prepared at request of FAO for drawing up The Report on the State of the World’s Forest Genetic Resources). ‑ Kharkiv, 2012. – 95 p. (in Ukrainian)
- A guide to identifying and managing particularly valuable forests for conservation and management in the trans-boundary region of Marmaroshchyna (Romania-Ukraine). Vlad R., Prots B., Bukur K., Bondaruk G., Kagalo O., Boroika I., Hiss T., Moisha K., Bashta A.-T., Yamelinets T., Bogdan K., Shparik Y. , Cherniavskyi M., Longin I., Beresh J., Beresh M., Rizun V., Kish R.] / - Baia Mare, Romania, 2014.- 65 p. (in Ukrainian)
- Forestry complex: ecological aspects. Ozarkiv I.M., Adamovsky M.G., Maksymiv V.M., Sokolovsky I.A., Kuninets E.P., Kopiy L.I., Cherniavskyi M.V., Tunytsia T.Y., Derekh O.I., Terela I.P. - Lviv: ZUKTS, 2014. - 264 p. (in Ukrainian)
- Close to nature and multifunctional forestry management in the Carpathian region of Ukraine and Slovakia: scientific edition / G.T. Krynitsky [et al.]; Edited by: G.T. Krynitsky, M.V. Cherniavskyi. - Uzhgorod: PP "Kolo", 2014. - 280 p. (in Ukrainian)
- Criteria and methodology for the identification of old growth forests and primeval forests / Y.Sparik, M.Cherniavskyi, O.Kagalo, G.Bondaruk, M.Ponepolyak, Y.Forgil, Y.Zelenchuk, R.Volosianchuk, B.Prots - Lviv: Liga Press, 2015. - 32 p. (in Ukrainian)
- Methodological recommendations on the regime of conservation of forest ecosystems in the territories of the nature reserve fund of Ukraine of different categories // Regional program "ENPI East FLEG II" (Enforcement and management in the forest sector of the countries of the eastern region of the European Neighborhood and Partnership Instrument) ./ О. Kagalo, M. Cherniavskyi, L. Protsenko, O. Andreeva// - Lviv, 2016 - 133 p. (in Ukrainian)
- Criteria and methodology for the identification of primeval forests and old growth forests (quasi-primeval forests). Second edition, supplemented. Yu.Shparik, M.Cherniavskyi, O.Kagalo, G.Bondaruk, V.Savchin, M.Ponepolyak, Y.Forgil, Y.Zelenchuk, R.Volosyanchuk, B.Prots. - Lviv: Liga-Press, 2017 - 36 p. (in Ukrainian)
- Lviv region: natural conditions and resources: monograph / ed. Dr. Geogr. of sciences, prof. M.M. Nazaruk. - Lviv: The Old Lev Publishing House, 2018. - 592 p. (in Ukrainian)